If you’re interested in volunteering with a pet, please note the following pre-requisites:
- You and your dog must have completed a basic obedience class prior to beginning training with HIP.
- You must have owned your pet at least 6 months prior to beginning training with HIP.
- Your pet must be at least one year old prior to beginning training with HIP.
Here are some things you can practice if you’re planning on volunteering with your pet:
- Expose pet to different environments and people of all ages – and do it often! A therapy pet loves interaction with all sorts of people, and is comfortable in many types of settings.
- Take additional obedience classes, especially if it has been a while since your last one. You can never be too prepared!
- Hand in Paw is an affiliate of Pet Partners®, and all of our teams have passed a Pet Partners evaluation. Click here to see an example of the skills tested: ( www.deltasociety.org )
for the current Training and Evaluation Calendar.